I have become fond of using wax and as a material it is also very dream like, in the sense that it will eventually disappear. I like the idea of my sculptures having this sort of limited life.
I constructed a large wooden circle and filled the inside with wax, I had to pour it in slowly and gradually to prevent any ripples and bumps, I wanted a smooth even surface because I want to carve a drawing in to it and fill the negative space with tinted resin. I wanted the resin to perhaps read as liquid wax in contrast to the dry wax.
I had left over black wax from making the castle piece so I used it to fill the edge of the circle. I then used Linocut tools to carve out the image. The image represents childhood fears that occur in dreams. I still have dreams about clowns so I illustrated a recurring dream that I have of a clown juggling over the mouth of hell. In the dream I get eaten by the mouth of hell.
I will update a picture of the finished piece in a later update.


No comments:
Post a Comment